Sunday, February 1, 2015

Duck Fook

Yesterday was a Black Day for the Cavalier Nation.  Today too, because of the hangover.  And what with this being Sunday, it seems an appropriate time to reflect on the old parable about not counting your chickens before they hatch.  Although it might not be a parable.  Might just be a saying.

In any case, at a certain point in the second half of the game last night, with the good guys up by eleven, I went out to the coop and started counting my chickens.

Big mistake.

I refer, of course, to the Duke Blue Devil's come-back victory over the team of my foster mother, the University of the State Named After an English Queen.

The key now is to travel to the University of the Northernmost State Named After Somebody Named Caroline and take care of business there.  As for Duke, we shall patiently await a rematch in the finals of the ACC Tournament.  And then we shall see.

Brief personal aside:  Perhaps ten years ago I found myself in Charlottesville attending a Virginia/Duke football game.  A number of Virginia students were wearing simple gray t-shirts with the words "Duck Fook" emblazoned on the front in black type.  It took me the longest time to figure out what the hell was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment