Monday, February 9, 2015

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire.  Me?  I'm thinking ice.

I say this because the greater Troy region has received 28 inches of snow in the last two weeks.  And, since the temperature has rarely crested freezing during that period of time, the snow that has arrived has chosen to stay.  And if that wasn't enough, more is coming down as I type.

We're talking biblical levels of snow.  The pile of snow in front of my house is so high that when I shovel the walk and throw the snow on the pile, it falls back down on the sidewalk.  Like a little avalanche.

The good news is that I made a pot of really top-drawer chili, and it's nice to eat the chili and stare out the window at the snow.   On a related front, I just finished watching Snowpiercer, the super-bizarre futuristic dystopian saga by Korean director Joon-ho Bong about the entirety of entire human race stuck on a train circling an ice and snow-encrusted world.  Battlestar Galactica meets The Polar Express, if you will.  The back story has something to do with an experiment to end global warming that took things a bit too far the other direction.  Some people have to live in the back of the train and some live in the front.  Class warfare ensues.  I'm guessing New York City will look something like this in five years.

Anyway, I don't know what I was expecting.  But it wasn't what I got.


Four point two five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment