Monday, April 13, 2015

Wolf Hall

I'm enjoying it, two episodes in.  I've gone on record as saying the book was one of the most annoying things I've read in years -- purely as a function of the prose style and the author's unwillingness to tell you who is saying what -- and yet, months afterward I was still thinking about it.  So score one for Ms. Mantel.

Anyway, the show is going nicely.  Impossible to follow, just like the books, with so many secondary characters that the mind reels, just like the books.  But what should get special mention is how beautiful the thing is visually.  Candles are, for the most part, the primary source of illumination, and how the lighting people make that happen so perfectly is astonishing.


This isn't even close to what I'm talking about, but it gives you a sense.  As you watch it on the screen it's like the lighting director was Rembrandt van Rijn.

No comments:

Post a Comment