Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I like mine with mustard

I'm fonder of Times restaurant critic Pete Wells after having read his reflections on the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich than I was before.  I tried cutting and pasting it below for your convenience, but the formatting got all weird.  Go here to read it.

Being the Times restaurant critic is a difficult job, a matter of setting yourself up for nasty comments on a weekly basis.  And it seems to me that people dislike Mr. Wells more than they did, say, Frank Bruni.  I'm not sure Sam Sifton (which would be a great name for a detective) was around long enough for anybody to form an opinion.  I'd give Wells a solid B as a letter grade.  So that's not bad.  And now, perhaps, a B+.

I say this because of a line that comes at the end of the seventh paragraph.

"This is one sandwich that is not necessarily improved by better cheese."  

In a world full of artisanal this-ing and that-ing, it's good to know that Pete Wells, a man with standing in the world of food, thinks plain old American cheese, the blood-brother of Velveeta, is the best thing to put on a BEC.

Me?  I like mine with mustard (which always makes the deli guy look at me oddly).  Plain old yellow mustard.  This is one sandwich that is not necessarily improved by better mustard.

Geoff's recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich:

-Melt some salted butter in a cast-iron skillet under medium heat.
-When it is melted, dredge one side of a piece of seeded rye bread in the butter and remove.
-Place the second piece of bread in the pan and, while it is heating, cover it with thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  Don't burn yourself on the side of the pan.
-On top of the cheddar sprinkle smallish chunks of bleu cheese.
-Top with the first piece of bread, butter side up.
-Turn the heat down and grill for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.

Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment