Thursday, April 2, 2015

I think the most interesting person in the world, other than me, is ...

... a young woman named Maddie Ziegler.

I loathe your insistence on using two sets of ellipses.
I wrestle with it, believe me.  But the jump from the title to the body copy seems to call for more than one.
Fine.  I'm just saying.

Anyway, Ms. Ziegler -- age 12, I'm guessing -- is a dancer who has become famous for starring in the videos of somebody named Sia.  Who is pretty interesting herself, in a sort of a Barry Manilow way, although that makes it sound like a bad thing when it's actually a good thing.

Anyway, this is the latest Sia/Ziegler collaboration ...



The question is this:  Whither Ms. Ziegler?  My understanding is that she sprang from obscurity because she was part of a dance-related reality show.  Dance Moms, maybe?  I've never seen it, although my daughter loves it.  But to watch her in these Sia videos makes you wonder what kind of career she's going to have.  She's a spectacular dancer, but she seems like a wonderful, intuitive actor as well.  That said, one wonders how much of what she's doing on screen is her idea or her director's?  The answer doesn't actually matter -- it's just worth considering. Either way, I think the whole thing is extraordinary.

Here's the video that made these people famous ...



What's your point about Barry Manilow?
Well, as I understand it, Manilow, having watched other people become stars performing his material, eventually asked himself: "How hard can this shit really be?"  Deciding that the answer was "Not very," he started performing his own songs and became a star himself.
Okay ...
So Sia, as I understand it, wrote a bunch of stuff for who knows -- people like Rhianna or Katie Perry or somebody -- then asked herself the same question Manilow did.  And now she's a recording star.

Update:  I just Wikipediaed (which is no less satisfactory a verb than "Googled," although I don't know how to spell it) Sia and it's possible I'm completely wrong.

A situation you are entirely comfortable with.
I wouldn't say that.  But it doesn't bug me as much as it might some people.

Rather than change all of the above, however, I'll just add this update.  Wikipedia tells us that Sia is the 97th richest person in Australia.  Which is lovely.  It's always good to be in the top 100, even if only by three.  You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment