Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The New Yorker

I quoted a passage from the New Yorker in the previous post and thought I'd add a bit more.  Those of you who dutifully read the 400,000-some words that comprised The Year of Magical Painting will know that I sometimes complain about how some publications charge the same amount for you to receive the hard copy of a magazine as they do if you choose to receive it electronically.  And anybody who's ever read, say, Vanity Fair on their iPad knows that it's a vastly superior way to consume that sort of content.

Anyway, I was mucking around the New Yorker in the service of both you, dear reader, and the previous post and up popped a window that said I could subscribe for $1.00 an issue.   And I thought that was a heck of an offer.  Then I went to the "subscribe" site (which is here) and found that for a dollar a week I could have the magazine mailed to me or, for a dollar a week, I could read the electronic version or, for a dollar a week, I could receive both.

Who, I have to ask, would choose options one or two in the face of option three?  Now I'm in a rage.

Nonetheless, I also came up with, in my exploration of the magazine's exploration of Smash, this line about Slings & Arrows -- another show about which I've waxed ecstatic many times on these pages ...
We’re also not talking about “Slings & Arrows,” the single best TV show about theater ever made. 
See.  If you won't listen to me you should listen to Emily Nausbaum.

Further on the Slings & Arrows front, the bit where Rachel McAdams' character is stoned and talking to a friend in a bookstore about Danish makes me laugh just thinking about it.  The humor, if you have to know, stems from the potential confusion between the language and the pastry.

Anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment