Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Everybody Wang Chung Tonight

If I had seven grand with absolutely nothing attached to it, I'd march down to Christies and bid on this.



Of course the Christies in question is in Hong Kong, so (since nobody wants to fly to HK coach) you have to add another seven grand.  So that's 14.  Although in this day and age it's the easiest thing to bid via the internet.  So we're back to seven K.

The full listing is here.  The piece measures just more than twenty-six inches square and would, when framed, fill a good bit of a wall nicely.  Because, hey, everything can't be four feet by five.

The piece is either a bit of a poem or a poem.  If my Cantonese is up to snuff it reads:

I do not belittle the moderns but I also love the old;
There are fundamental reasons why elegant and beautiful prose is sought after.

Nicely said, Wang Jiqian.  One more compelling reason to read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf.


No comments:

Post a Comment